Take the following steps to keep stored food free from pantry pests:
- Purchase proper storage: Heavy plastic or glass containers with airtight, secure lids keep pantries looking nice and will help protect food.
- Use a bay leaf: Add one leaf to canisters and packages of dry goods – the herb’s pungent scent repels many pests.
- Inspect groceries at the store: Most pantry pests are brought into homes from items that are already infested. Check packages for any holes or broken seals before placing them in the cart.
- Check the date: Remember to check expiration dates on baking ingredients before use. Visually inspect items that have been left untouched in the pantry for signs of pests.
- Practice good sanitation: Wipe up crumbs and spills as soon as possible. Also, periodically clean cupboards with soap and water to remove any food residue that may accumulate over time.
- Seal cracks: Look for any cracks or holes where pests might be coming into your home and seal them shut.