How can I prevent a flea infestation?
There are a few tips that people should follow to prevent fleas from becoming an itchy nuisance.
Around the House
- Maintain a clean home. Practicing good sanitation is key to avoiding an infestation.
- Vacuum carpets, floors and furniture frequently, and wash ben linens regularly, to remove any existing fleas and help prevent the laying of eggs.
- Since fleas can transport themselves on rodents, it’s important to eliminate any rodent harborage points by keeping the lawn properly landscaped. This includes mowing the lawn on a regular basis, replacing loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows, and removing all moisture sites around the property.
- Check pets’ coats thoroughly for fleas, especially after spending time outdoors. Be aware of excessive scratching and licking.
- Bathe pets after walks or playtime with other animals.
- Wash pet bedding, collars and plush toys frequently.
- Speak to a veterinarian about flea prevention treatments.