A shipment of several dozen live giant African snails, weighing some 2lb (0.9kg) each, has been seized by officials at Los Angeles International Airport. The 67 snails, measuring about six inches (15cm) in length, arrived from Lagos, Nigeria, in two plastic baskets with paperwork describing them as being for human consumption, custom inspectors said. The snails are considered a delicacy in Nigeria but are also voracious pests that eat not just plants, but paint and stucco off houses. It was the largest such shipment ever seized at LAX, the US Customs and Border Protection agency said. The packages were marked as destined for an address in San Dimas, California, about 30 miles (48km) east of Los Angeles. The creatures are prohibited from entry because they pose a serious threat to agriculture, the environment and public health. The giant snails can consume more than 500 types of plants, and will even munch on the exterior of homes if fruits and vegetables are not available. an carry several parasites harmful to humans, including one that can lead to meningitis. They also can carry several parasites harmful to humans, including one that can lead to meningitis. The entire snail collection was incinerated by the US Department of Agriculture.
- Thank you Ron for the 5 star review in Kansas City on Google! Our goal is always to get to the root of the problem… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Smithereen understands the food & beverage industry. From drive-ins to white tablecloth, Smithereen has a tailored… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Night after night are you or your children spotting spiders in the bedroom? It’s time you do something about this… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- Advantages of choosing Thermal Remediation® to kill bed bugs: * Lethal temperature kills all life stages * Little t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 days ago
- Thank you Elise in Kansas City for the 5 star review on Google! https://t.co/Bmw69RHK2j 1 week ago