KATU in Portland, Oregon recently reported that a local mother received a scare and was “grossed out” after finding her daughter’s stuffed toy filled with insects. Kamren Weiler discovered that the toy was infested when she notice her 3-year-old daughter Kinley was crying about her Cozy Hugs microwavable stuffed animal. When Weiler dumped the contents from the toy, she found what appeared to be hundreds of living insects.
“She went to sleep with it and played with it and had it in her bed,” she told KATU reporters. Yeah, it’s really gross.”
“I looked over at it on the counter and there were bugs all over it, just crawling,” Weiler added.
Cozy Hugs are marketed as aromatherapy products. When microwaved they emit the smell of lavender and retain warmth. However, the wheat and lavender filling also attracts insects. According to the Oregon Department of Agriculture, the insects are most likely grain weevils, a common pest that eats grain kernels.
“My first reaction was, this is really gross,” said Weiler. “And then my second reaction was, I tore my daughter’s whole room apart. Where could those bugs have gone? In her shirt, in her clothes?”
This is not the first time a parent has discovered insects in their child’s Cozy Hugs toy. In fact, numerous complaints have been logged by other people reporting insects in their Cozy Hugs stuffed animals.
“I bought these for my grandchildren,” one complaint read, “before I even gave them to them I noticed bugs. I opened them up and dumped the grain-full of bugs-alive bugs.”
Another read: “DO NOT BUY THIS FOR YOUR KIDS! They become infested with bugs! I spent days trying to figure out why my daughter’s bed was full of bugs. BINGO! I opened the little bear! There are grains inside and full of bugs in it! The company refused to admit it is their fault!”
The FDA has encouraged people who have problems with their Cozy Hugs products should file a complaint.