Deadly Reactions

Deadly Reactions

For most people the bite or sting of an insect usually does no more than annoy them. However, for some these mere annoyances can turn into a trip to the hospital. According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, over half a million people every year have to go to the hospital because of a severe allergic reaction to an insect sting. At least 50 of those people die because of it. Experts suggest that people who suffer from these allergies should try and stay away from all stinging insects. This includes bumbles, because although they are less aggressive than wasps, there have been a growing number of severe allergic reactions to their sting. This could be because people aren’t as wary of the cute yellow critters. They also suggest getting allergy shots and being aware of factors that increase the chances of a reaction.

So, how do you know if you’re allergic or not? There are a few things that can point you in that direction. You should avoid stinging insects if: you’ve had severe reactions to stings in the past, you have heart disease, high blood pressure or pulmonary disease, have asthma, are taking certain medications, particularly beta blockers or ACE inhibitors, or are frequently among stinging insects.

Are you allergic to insect stings?

About smithereenpestmanagement

Smithereen Pest Management provides IPM pest services to residential and commercial clients in Kansas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Missouri.
This entry was posted in Deadly Reactions and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s